Trump-anxiety. “Clintonitis.” Are these real conditions? Psychologists and massage therapists believe they are real. Consequently, they are seeing more and more of their clients stressing over the rise of Donald Trump and the potential of Clinton being elected. People are fearful, nervous, and panicky about the possibility of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton becoming president of the United States, and I don’t blame them.
We Are Not Slaves to Fear
Their rhetoric is divisive, abusive, exclusive, and the most disturbing of all, it’s popular. More than that, both candidates are terribly flawed. So, I have to admit, it frightens me to think that Trump or Clinton could become the leader of the most powerful nation in the world. I know this fear is not healthy for me or any follower of Jesus. So, this is the reason I have decided to do something about these feelings.
“I Will” Declarations
Therefore, instead of panicking and becoming nervous over the possibility of Trump or Clinton becoming president, I have decided to make some simple, but powerful biblical declarations. I invite you to join me. I WILL:
- Trust that God reigns. Psalm 93
- Believe God rules over the nations, and he gives authority to whom he chooses. Daniel 4:32
- Embrace that no one can stop God. Daniel 4:35
- Be still and know that God is God. Psalm 46:10
- Place my hope in God alone (not the government). Psalm 131:3
- Remember God determines a ruler’s authority and boundary. Acts 17:26
- Remember God has placed him/her there. Romans 13:1
- Trust that the Lord’s purposes will prevail. Proverbs 19:21
- Refuse to be anxious. Philippians 4:6
- Turn my stress into prayer requests. Philippians 4:6
- Intercede for him/her. 1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Pray and work for the peace of our country. Jeremiah 29:7
- Submit to his/her leadership, as long as his/her demands don’t conflict with God’s law. Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13
- Obey his/her leadership, as long as his/her demands don’t conflict with God’s law. Titus 3:1
- Be ready to do good. Titus 3:1
- Remember we are not fighting against flesh and blood. Ephesians 6:12
- Cry out to the Lord. Psalm 72:12-14
- Believe God directs the heart of political authorities. Proverbs 21:1
- Refuse panic if I don’t fully understand God’s plan. Proverbs 20:24
- Continue to preach the gospel and work for peace and justice. Psalm 82:3-4
- Honor and respect those in authority. Proverbs 24:21; Romans 13:7; 1 Peter 2:17
- Use rights and freedoms granted to me by the authority of the Constitution. Acts 16:35-39; 22:22-29
- I will NOT move to Canada or the Caribbean (Well, I might go to the Caribbean for a purely selfish reason – It’s warm)
Not a Donkey, nor an Elephant, But the Lamb
My friends, we are not slaves to fear. Our ultimate hope is not in a donkey or an elephant, but in the Lion from the tribe of Judah. His name is Jesus! Therefore, when we feel panic and fear, let us not lose hope, but remind ourselves of these powerful biblical truths.
Turn Your Minutes into Moments
What other declarations can you make?
Which declaration resonates with you the most?
When you feel nervous or fear during this election season, which declaration will you remind yourself of the most?